Type: Social Entrepreneur
Level: mid-level 3 years relevant experience
Project location: Rotterdam, Netherlands and Ghana
Apply before: 1. July 2012
Urgent! Goodget is looking for an entrepreneur to complement our team with knowledge of project management and entrepreneurship in developing countries. Are you ready to take up the challenge of setting up an innovative distribution channel for sustainable, innovative and cost-effective products in developing countries?
Challenge and opportunity
Goodget wants to distribute sustainable, innovative and cost-effective products – not gadgets, but goodgets – to people who can best use them: the 90% of the world’s population who live in poverty and daily frustration over lack of clean water, energy supply, sufficient housing and sanitation, depletion of natural resources and degradation of the natural environment.
This large group of people, also referred to as the Bottom of the Pyramid or BoP, is a very difficult segment to reach. We found that local entrepreneurs are the key factor in reaching these new consumers in developing countries.
Microfranchising is an innovative, but already proven business model aimed at these local entrepreneurs. This business model reduces risk and makes it profitable to distribute a broad collection of goodgets amongst the BoP. Microfranchising makes marketing and distribution of goodgets in developing countries a joint effort; this way individual goodgets can reach a much bigger market. As sales increase, production prices can drop, and more people can buy goodgets which can improve their wellbeing and living environment.
The Pilot of Goodget
In July 2012, we are going to start the pilot of Goodget in Ghana. In the first months we have to make working arrangements with local parties, set up a local office, compile a microfranchise handbook, set up a course for the first microfranchisees, write a marketing plan, contact producers of goodgets, and make deals with shipping companies. After 3 months of preparation, we are going to start selling goodgets through the microfranchise chain. We will evaluate and learn, take our losses and try again in this first year. After the first year, we will expand the business in Ghana, and in the third year we aim to expand to two more countries in West Africa.
What is already in place?
• A business plan for Goodget. The plan was chosen as one of the best business plans in the 2011 Entrepreneurs without Borders competition of BiD Network, and as a finalist in this competition we received much attention from private investors. In 2012 Goodget has been selected to take part in Pitch&Match, another bussiness plan competition.
• The money needed to start the pilot has been secured (first 6 months)
• Proven products and concept: microfranchising works in developing countries!
• Partners include: Impulsis, Enviu, the Technical University Delft, SIFE Ghana
Goodget is looking for an individual with the following characteristics:
• Pro-active, flexible and responsible attitude
• Entrepreneurial / market research / project management experience in developing countries (preferably Ghana)
• Understanding of business finance and microfinance is a plus
• Strong social drive to achieve impact among the lower-middle income group
• Excellent networker
• Strong social and environmental values in line with our core values
• Commercial sales skills are a plus
• Able to oversee complicated situations, see opportunities instead of problems
• Able to inspire co-workers with positive and fair attitude
• Responsible for project management and accurate reporting to investors, partners, board members (with CEO)
• Oversee and delegate tasks to volunteers and consultants
• Help the local team to improve, scale and launch Goodget in Ghana
• Acquire investment capital (with CEO)
• Starting up the business and responsible for daily operations
• Acquire new clients / scouting and selecting of partners in countries other than Ghana, e.g. producers of goodgets, government, NGO’s (with CEO)
This is what we aim for in our pilot:
- Start up 25 microfranchises in Ghana
- Create a successful microfranchise formula
- Sell 120 standard boxes of goodgets in the first year to the BoP
- Improving the quality of life of thousands of people around the world!
Please note that the entrepreneur is supposed to take his/her own risk in the first 3 months. The whole team has been working on a voluntary basis, and will continue to do so at least untill october 2012.
If you want to be part of our dream and if you are the leading entrepreneur to make it happen, please do not waste any time, and contact Elvira de Rooij, CEO of Goodget at firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0) 624 879 342